Friday, April 19, 2013

Took The Test... Sike!


(Originally Posted on 2013/04/16 at indianajane87.wordpress.com/)
First of all, I couldn’t decide if it was “psych” or “sike.”  I liked the look of “sike” better.  Moving on…
In my last post I said I was very likely actually going to be able to take the ASVAB.  Well, that didn’t happen.  I did the same ol’ song and dance of getting up at 0500 and got to the recruiting station by 0730.  There were five other people there (two girls, three guys) and as in the past, we are seen by the recruiter in the order that we arrived.  When it was my turn, I walked to his desk, told him my name and then said, “And the question is: am I on the roster?”
After he tinkered on his computer for a bit and looking at the printout of the MEPS roster, he saw that my name was on there but there was a strike-through on it with SPF and some other three letter mumbo jumbo.  So he called SSgt H.  After they finished talking he explained that the problem very likely (or actually) was that when they requested my MEPS documents from Indianapolis to be pulled, it was moved from Indy to the Los Angeles MEPS BUT it wasn’t switched from Marines to Army.  He said the computer was still showing I “belonged” to the Marines.
So he had me sign the same form that I would have been signing to take to the ASVAB site and made a copy of my social security card and driver’s license to send to MEPS so they can switch from Marines to Army.  I guess.  Hopefully that will clear it all up once and for all so I can finally take the ASVAB.  I believe I’ll most likely be taking it in LA instead of where I’ve been scheduled previously.  The recruiters believe it’ll make it easier to clear up any snafus if one comes up if I’m at the actual MEPS location.  I don’t mind.  It’ll be a later wake-up for me even though I’ll be getting back late.
Afterwards, I headed to Starbucks to kill some time.  The girl behind the counter said I had a very pretty jawline and that my hair cut compliments it well.  That made me feel pretty good about myself.  I have been struggling with liking my hair after I chopped off an unknown amount of inches a few months ago.
After running a couple of errands, I went to David’s Bridal and tried on dresses for the upcoming military ball (tried on about 7 dresses or so).  I ended up getting the first one I tried on.  It’s very elegant.  Much more expensive than I would have wanted to pay but I justified it by reminding myself that I paid only about $70 for the first ball and borrowed a dress for the second ball (free!).  I also hope to get my hair and makeup done because that’s something I didn’t do the other two times and want to look my best.  Who knows when the next time I’ll be able to wear a dress of my choosing to a military ball may be.  Well, that is unless my husband and I don’t end up being in the same unit.  I think women are allowed to wear dresses if they’re attending a ball where they don’t belong to the unit.  Not that I’m worried about that.  I’ll post pictures later when the time comes.
Coming back on post, the gate guard had me pop my trunk.  That was a first for me.  He said “Expect this to happen for a while.”  It has me wondering if this has anything to do with the Boston Marathon bombings and/or the letter tainted with poison sent to a senator.  Though I hadn’t heard about the latter until I got home and turned on the tv.  Kind of a hassle for me since my trunk doesn’t pop with the little lever inside the car anymore.  So I have to turn off the car, get out, and use the key to open it.  I felt a little bad for the people behind me waiting to get through as well.
walkWhen I got home, I took Luna for a walk.  We walked 3.78 miles, burned 318 calories and took a little over an hour to complete.
I found this Facebook page for the LA MEPS.  Looking through the pictures has me pretty excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment