Friday, April 19, 2013

New Blog, New Post, New Journey

(Originally Posted on 2013/02/22 at /indianajane87.wordpress.com)

I’ve decided to start a blog.  A blog about my journey becoming an Army soldier, fitness/weight loss, and general well being. We’ll see where these subjects take me!
My current weight is about 150 lbs.  At 64″, I cannot exceed 147 lbs for Army height/weight standards.  However, my ideal weight is somewhere between 130-135 lbs. In later posts, I’ll keep track of my progress on push ups, sit ups, and the two mile run to see how I improve.
For females in my age bracket, the minimum for push ups is 17; sit ups is 50; 2 mile run is 19:36.  As of now, I can do a little more than the minimum for push ups.  Same for sit ups.  Both still need work.  But what needs the most work is the 2 mile run.  I’m more of a short distance sprinter than endurance runner having played soccer for 13 years of my life.  No excuses since practice makes perfect.
I talked to a recruiter on Tuesday 2013FEB19 and got the paper work rolling.  They sent me home with some “homework” to complete for when I come back in.  It’s a huge stack of questions.  I’ve completed most of it except for the references.
Since I went through the MEPS process back in 2008 but with the Marines, the recruiting station had to request the documents from the MEPS in Indianapolis where I originally processed.  If the recruiter was not made aware of a previous DEP loss, they would have gone through most of the steps only to be stopped because instead of saying I would be enlisting with the Army, it would have said I was enlisted with the Marines, or something to that degree.  So if anyone out there was a DEP loss from another branch trying to enlist into a different branch, make it known to your recruiter that this is the case.  Anyway, they told me it would take 10 days for those documents to arrive at their recruiting station.  So until then, I’m filling out the questionnaire and studying for the ASVAB.
On my first visit, I took the practice ASVAB.  In 2008 I had gotten a 60something on the practice and an 83 on the actual ASVAB.  I knew that I would do worse on the math sections of the practice test since it has been several years since I’ve taken a math class.  The saying is true: Use it or lose it.  I most certainly lost it.  I ran out of time on both of the math sections with questions left to answer and ended up with an abysmal score of 40.  Fairly embarrassing for a college grad.

So for now, I am working out, studying for the ASVAB, and getting in contact with people to inform them that I am using them as references so they have a heads-up that they may be contacted.

No comments:

Post a Comment