Friday, April 19, 2013

Catching Up & Big Bear Lake


(Originally Posted on 2013/04/09 at indianajane87.wordpress.com/)
I’ve been slacking on posting.  However, not a whole lot has happened in regards to working out or enlisting.  As it stands, I am scheduled to take the ASVAB next week on Tuesday.  My recruiter believes it will actually work this time.  He just wants me to call on Monday to confirm I’m on the MEPS roster to test.
2milerunrunmilewalk





Last week I took Luna for a 3.21 mile walk, 1.23 mile run, and a 2.06 mile run.  My run times were awful because I had the dog with me.  About halfway through the 2 mile run, Luna had some business to attend to, and I don’t know about you but I wasn’t about to run with a bag full of poop.  That slowed me down until I made it to the nearest trashcan.
I really need to up my cardio.  I run very sporadically without any real plan.  In fact, I need to workout in general a lot more regularly.  It’s still been about a year since the last time I went to the gym here.  I used to have a workout partner or two but I really need to stop using that as an excuse to not go.
bigbearlake
This weekend C, Luna, and I went up to Big Bear Lake with intentions of going camping.  However, I missed the information in my research about the campgrounds being closed for the winter until next month.  So we had to improvise and instead stayed at Big Bear Lakefront Lodge, which is dog friendly.  The experience of that was unique in itself.  I say that because Luna had never stayed in a hotel setting before and was on edge almost the whole time.  She wanted to be out and about and hated staying in one room while we were there compared to having free reign of our house.
The best part was that we had a great view of the lake from the room and Luna was able to go out and play in it for the first time.  At first she was afraid of the moving water but she and I walked along it until she was comfortable to step in.  And then she had a blast splashing away.  After the lake, we went for a walk, which I have no idea how far we went since my phone’s battery was low and running the MapMyRun app would have killed it.  It was probably a couple or few miles.
lunabigbear
The second day we were there, we hiked 4 miles.  There were a couple times that it was difficult due to the steep incline but it was a lot of fun.  The view was gorgeous (first picture).  Coming down went by so much faster than I expected.  Several others brought their dogs and they were all almost better behaved than Luna.  She just gets excited when she sees other dogs and wants to meet them all.
I think we may try going out there again when the campgrounds are open and it warms up.  I want to see if Luna will try swimming in the lake since she only went in about chest-high and she may need encouragement from me if I’m able to get in all the way myself, as well.  I waded in this time but the water was still icy cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment