Friday, April 19, 2013

Today's Grand (Mis)Adventure


(Originally Posted on 2013/03/19 at indianajane87.wordpress.com/)
As you may have seen in previous posts, I was scheduled for the ASVAB… Well, let me start from the beginning.
Woke up around 0500 and got myself ready.  I left the house at 0610 and made my way off post.  It did not even occur to me that there might be school buses driving off post for the high school students.  I got lucky and was stuck behind one going 45 mph in a 60 mph zone with minimal passing lanes and oncoming traffic so heavy, passing that way wasn’t an option.  But I was patient and waited for my chance, which happened after the bus stopped to let students on.  Another car behind got right up on me obviously wanting to go faster.
I have only had one speeding ticket and do not plan to receive any more.  So I try to stay at the speed limit or 5 over.  And no more than 10 over if possible.
They pass, speed off, and I continue on my way.  Probably 10 minutes later, I see the same car pulled over by a cop.  I laughed inwardly to myself because being pulled over definitely did not get them where they were going any faster than if they had gone the speed limit or a little faster.  Not 80+.  Sweet justice!  Crazy and/or bad drivers is one of my pet peeves.
Anyway, I get to the recruiting station right around 0730.  I see two other cars with people sitting in them so I waited around in my car figuring the office was probably locked.  Around 0740 I decide to get out and check.  Locked.  So I go back to my car to wait.  Not too much longer a car pulls up right next to mine and a recruiter gets out.  I still hang back until one of the guys that had been waiting in one of the two cars comes out from the office toward my car.  I opened my door to see what he had to say knowing it’d be to inform me that I could go inside.
The three of us wait inside while the recruiter pulls up some paperwork.  We each are called up to confirm our social security numbers on the sheet and sign in three places.  Before we left, we were handed those sheets folded into an envelope with our last names written on the front.  We then leave and get into one of the government vehicles and head off stopping first at a gas station nearby.  The guy in the front passenger seat got out to smoke while the recruiter filled the tank.  The guy in the back seat with me started to talk to me by introducing himself and then asking if I had taken the ASVAB before.  Beyond that, the trip was quiet.   Well, except for the recruiter singing somewhat quietly to the radio.
About 45 minutes later, we arrive at the school where we were scheduled to take the test.  Before sending us into the room, the recruiter handed each of us his business card.  Thank goodness for that!  I’ll get to that in a second.  I go in and take a seat until the guy proctoring the test calls me up.  I hand him my photo ID, social security card and the envelope from the recruiting station.  A minute later and the guy tells me I’m not on his roster for today and that I wouldn’t be able to take the test.  My reaction was something along the lines of a confused “Oh really?”  I walk out of the room, pull out the business card and call the recruiter’s cell phone.  He’s just as surprised as I am.  He comes back into the building and makes a few calls.  He then tells me that it was a “failed projection.”
Thankfully he was nice enough to take me back to the recruiting station instead of making me wait 3 hours for the two others to finish since I drive an hour just to get to the station.  I was able to ask a few questions about jobs and various other things on the drive back so at least my day wasn’t completely wasted… right?  We get back to the recruiting station and I’m rescheduled to take the test for next Tuesday.  I like to look at the silver lining of this that I get another week to study.  And I’m honestly not surprised something like this happened because, well, we’re dealing with the military here.  You get the “hurry up and wait” and things going wrong for no reason.
And that was my morning.  I made it back on post around 1130 and was confused when the guy at the gate said “good morning” thinking that there was no possible way it could still be morning.  Long morning.  Also, apparently I had to be really elaborate about my morning and write in the present tense… or some weird, mixed up version of it.  Sorry about that.
Stopping to smell the desert wildflowers.
Stopped to smell the desert wildflowers.
mmrAfter all that and a giant burrito for lunch, I took Luna out for a walk.  I grabbed a bag and packed the normal dog walking essentials and her water bottle (has a detachable part to pour the water into for easy lapping) and a bottle for myself.  We completed six miles.  It wasn’t too hot but it was just enough that we took our time and took plenty of breaks for shade and water.  I’m really loving this mid 70° weather.  When it hits triple digits, it won’t be as fun, at least in the middle of the day.
luna2
Upon coming home, Luna found her water bowl, drank a little and then laid down beside it.  Poor puppy!  But an entire morning in her kennel made her antsy.  All in all, not the day I foresaw having but not terrible either.

No comments:

Post a Comment